The first Lions Club in Lillington was sponsored by a club in Broadway; its charter was dated April 26, 1951,with Meredith Senter as president.
Poor attendance by the twenty charter members resulted in the club’s dissolution after about one and a half years of operation.
Twenty years after the first attempt, the Lillington Lions Club took root.
With 36 charter members, the second charter was granted on April 14, 1971.
From the club’s beginning, its highest priorities have been- and continue to be – blind and sight service programs.
These programs include providing food, clothing, shelter, household equipment, fuel and utilities to those with special needs.
Contributions by the Lions Club also make possible medical and optical services, educational services, recreational and therapeutic activities, screening for glaucoma,diabetes and vision problems. The club sponsors two persons annually to attend Camp Dogwood, a camp for the blind.
The club has a history of generous contribution of time and money;
members give hundreds of dollars annually to promote these designated
programs as well as to support the Boys and Girls Home at Lake Waccamaw.